Commercial Van and Delivery Truck Accidents
Federal and state laws place many smaller commercial vans and delivery trucks under the same regulations as the largest 18-wheeler trucks. In many cases, drivers are required to obtain a valid commercial driver's license and update their driving skills regularly. If a commercial van or delivery truck driver gets into an accident, violations of federal or state regulations may mean the driver or truck owner/operator is liable for significant damages.
Causes of Commercial Van and Delivery Truck Accidents
There are a number of issues that can lead to a catastrophic accident:
- Driver negligence – This includes fatigue, drug or alcohol abuse, texting, speeding, reckless driving and other careless behavior.
- Inadequate hiring practices – To make sure that it is hiring reliable and safe drivers, a company is responsible for conducting adequate background checks and installing hiring practices that identify potential problems with employees.
- Failure to train drivers properly – A trucking company must also provide appropriate training to its drivers, to make sure they have the necessary skills to handle all aspects of their job.
- Unbalanced/overloaded cargo – Proper loading of cargo is an extremely important aspect of ensuring safety. Cargo that is loaded improperly may spill onto the road, or cause the truck or van to roll over.
- Improper or inadequate maintenance – Comprehensive and timely maintenance is crucial to ensuring safe operation of all vehicles. An engine malfunction or worn-out part failure can quickly lead to catastrophe.
- Defective truck equipment and tires – The manufacturers of truck tires and equipment are responsible for providing safe products that perform as expected. If they have not done so, they are at least partially responsible for what occurs as a result.
What to do Next
If you've been involved in an accident with a commercial van or delivery truck, it is important to get started on the case within the first week, or important evidence and testimony may be lost.